Ready to start lessons? ENROLL NOW!
We are currently accepting new students. To view our available openings click on the Enroll Now link above and then click on 'Select a schedule'.
Questions? Want to request a specific teacher or lesson time that isn't listed?
Email [email protected] and we can help!
At PPA our mission is to offer the highest quality musical training to busy parents and students. We recognize that our students have full schedules and are pulled in many different directions, but that they still want to be taught correctly and attain a lifelong love of music.
PPA fulfills this by offering:
- a structured, graded curriculum that includes both classical and popular skills
- an in-lesson certification and evaluation system that requires no outside testing, scheduling, or extra payment
- multiple opportunities for our students to teach, accompany and perform
- an amazing faculty that cares about each child and their experience
- a friendly, social environment so that students enjoy coming to lessons, are motivated by their peers and want to stay involved in music
- a kind, supportive and friendly staff that is responsive and informative
- an online self-serve lesson swap system so that students can find a lesson time that works for their schedule even in the busiest of times
The Peery Piano Academy is located conveniently off of Grant Road at 221 Bryant Ave in Mountain View. We are thrilled to be able to bring both convenience and community to music education. We share space with the First Church of Christ Scientist. Although we aren't affiliated with the church in any way, we love their community and a nicer group of people we do not know.
The Peery Piano Academy uses the Peery Method which covers beginning lessons to the most advanced piano training.
- Habits (required) - classical fundamentals in musical expression, technique and sight reading
- Players - intermediate classical and popular piano
- Givers- advanced classical and popular piano, teaching opportunities
- Mastery - competition and performance Classical piano
As well as having an amazing faculty, PPA is also a teaching school which means part of the Peery curriculum is giving our students to the opportunities to teach as part of our Apprentice program. Our Licensed Apprentices attend ongoing training with a Peery Mentor towards becoming a Peery Certified Teacher and are also assigned a Peery faculty advisor for continuous support. Lessons with Licensed Apprentices are available at a reduced rate. Our Apprentice Practical Guides serve as assistants in group lessons and are in charge of teaching the sight reading/theory portion of the lesson.
Wyatt Cowley - Players
APPRENTICE PRACTICAL GUIDES
In addition to regular instruction Peery Piano Academy tuition includes:
- ongoing in lesson certification and evaluation monitoring each individual's progress and goals
- Formal student recital held at Mountain View Center for the Performing Arts each January
- Spring Family Festival - offering a more casual venue for our students to share music with family and friends
- Summer Ensemble Recital - up to six keyboards on one stage!
- teaching opportunities. We are a teaching school. Our students are offered teaching positions starting in 7th grade.
What people are saying about PPA:
"Peery Piano's tag line is "Right from the Beginning," and I literally choked up with tears when I took my daughter in to her first lesson. The children are trained in sight reading, ear training, expression and music theory, right from their very first lesson. The result is that no matter how far my daughter chooses to take her piano education, she will never have to quit because of flaws in her technique. She has been trained right, or correctly, and thoroughly, from the beginning. I feel so lucky to have access to this level of training, so close to me. (My sweet mother drove us 45 minutes away and paid countless thousands of dollars for our piano lessons... for a far inferior education which didn't go the distance.)"
"We thoroughly enjoyed the "festival" tonight. What an amazing group of young pianists. It was impressive to hear their ages and that they had mastered their pieces. I was also delighted to see the many different ways that the students performed - on piano, keyboard, as duets, triplets even! and many with their teachers and fellow students as accompanists. I can see how Peery Piano Academy has been successful - you make it fun and show appreciation for every student and their parents."
"We are just finishing our first year at the Peery Academy. The program is amazingly comprehensive with ear training, memorization, flash cards, group lesson, theory, and staff books to name a few. From the beginning they teach your child how to play a simple song with beautiful dynamics and expression."
"Peery Piano Academy yields extraordinary results with children as young as 5. Their Habits Program is designed to teach good piano habits from the beginning and these habits stick for a lifetime, enabling the students to reach incredible heights later on."
"I have two children in the Peery Piano Academy for the last 3 years. My first child started in a different state and transferred in after 5 years of piano. She was required to do the "Habits" program to ensure that her skills were on track. While she had to do some significant "relearning" to get rid of poor habits and acquire proper ones, it was pain well worth the gain! My other child started with Peery. Both children are doing very well and have a solid foundation in theory, ear training, musical performance, muscular skills, chord use, and sight reading. They have also been taught good work ethic in being accountable for their practice efforts."
"I could not be happier with the musical education that my children receive at Peery. My children have 5 years of Peery Piano School Experience inclusive. The thing that I love the most about this program is that my kids are not only learning to read music and play notes, but to express music in such a beautiful way. They are also learning that with practice and work they can accomplish things that seemed impossible at the beginning."
"My two daughters are getting a very well rounded piano education at Peery Piano Academy. They get experience in hand muscle building exercises, sight reading, playing by ear, perfecting pieces, theory, technique, performing, classical music, popular music, and working with small groups. We get a book of about fifteen lesson plans at the beginning of each level so we know what we are working towards. Knowing the end from the beginning is great incentive!"
The Peery Academy was founded by Thomas and Christie Skousen.
Christie Skousen began playing piano at age 5 and teaching at age 9. She is a winner of many international piano competitions and has performed in such venues as Carnegie Hall and with Symphonies throughout the world. She was a student of Leon Fleisher at Peabody Conservatory.
Thomas Skousen received his business and law degrees from Brigham Young University and has been working in business and education for the past 20 years.